The Old Riverton Inn | Elyse Harney Real Estate
Elyse Harney Real Estate

The Old Riverton Inn

Welcome to the Old Riverton Inn – bed and breakfast and banquet facility.
Originally an old stagecoach stop along the Hartford to Albany route, the Old Riverton Inn is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Overlooking the wild and scenic designated west branch of the Farmington River and less than a mile from Peoples State Forest, the area abounds with outdoor activities including excellent trout fishing, canoeing, hiking, cross-country skiing, biking, tubing, picnicking, and nature watching.
Both the dining room and enclosed grindstone terrace are available for weddings, parties, and special occasions and is served by our Hobby Horse Bar.

Inn History

The Old Riverton Inn was originally opened in 1796 by Jess Ives, and was known on the post route between Hartford and Albany as Ives Tavern or, as given in some records, Ives Hotel.
There were several rival stage companies in operation between New Hartford and Riverton. Each stage driver stopped at his favorite inn, where he received special favors in return for bringing his passenger to that tavern.
tThe wallpaper used in the lounge and dining room was created by Nancy McClelland and its design was taken from an old hat box. The floors of the addition were constructed of Vermont flagstone, greatly admired for its beautiful patina. Murals in the Hobby Horse Bar were painted by Bobby Walsh, who created murals at the New York World’s Fair in the late 30’s. Saddles on kegs still remain as bar stools.
Porches at the front of the building were removed to create a wider swing in the roadway where the inn stands. Their removal revealed the classic architecture of the building. A bay window replaced the original front door, its glass taken from the same barn which provided the replacement beams for the refurbished dining room. The graceful fan-light door, which had originally been the entrance form the second story porch, was moved to the newly-created lobby and provides the present entrance.
An outdoor terrace was also added. Its floor was constructed of grindstone which, according to records over hundred years old, were quarried in Nova Scotia, sent by ship to Long Island Sound, and transported up the Connecticut River to Hartford. They were then hauled by oxen to Collinsville where they were used in the making of axes and machetes. In 1954, the Grindstone Terrace was enclosed so that it would be available for year round use. The room, with its white wrought iron furniture and raised fireplace, is very popular for private parties. On cold winter nights a fire glows on the hearth, illuminating the old iron kettle which hangs over the embers.